Trying to reach out to Generation Y? Then reading Gen Buy is a sound decision. Take off your traditional marketing cap and get ready to engage.
What you’ll discover is that:
* Limited edition is king
* Gen Y spends 200 billion a year.
* Gen Y hates traditional advertising.
* They prefer brands that align themselves with good causes instead of trying to persuade them.
* They also all have smartphones and can’t understand why anyone doesn’t have a presence on the mobile web.
* They think sharing is normal.
* They don’t watch tv or read.
One of the great examples in the book is about a beverage company called Jones Soda. Instead of trying to launch their product by getting distribution in c-stores and specialized beverage stores they focused on skate and surf shops. There was no competition, they were right where their target market hung out and their brand seemed different by allowing people to enter images in a contest to be put on the cover of each bottle of soda. Jones Soda began to become a huge succcess. They allowed Gen Y to discover them instead of pushing themselves on Gen Y.